Tuesday, July 23, 2013

How It All Started

I met my Korean friend Esther in elementary school. We were in a gifted program for high achieveing students. Hence, in the 90s there were few Latinos in that school and a lot more Asians. Because I was one of the few Latinos, I immediately started making friends with the Asians. I made a Chinese friend (Dale) and my Korean friend Esther. Soon the 3 of us were a tight knit group of buddies - the three amigos!

Not only was it a little strange for a Colombian girl to befriend a Chinese and Korean, but it was also funny that I looked like Esther. For a Latina, I did not have the typical look. I was light-skinned, curly black hair, and skinny. I basically looked like Esther. But Esther looked like me becuase one year she decided to perm her hair so we both had the same hair style and looked the same from the back. In school, teachers would confuse us.

As the years went by, the three of us became closer and closer. Eventually, I started spending the night at her house and was integrated into the Asian culture even more. Whether it was hangiing out with her Korean grandmother, taking my shoes off at the door, or eating Korean food; I always learned something new at her house. Because of this, even to this day, I have a great passion and appreciatino for Asian culture. My apartment is decorated in at least 50% Oriental decor and I take off my shoes at the door of my own apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment