Tuesday, July 23, 2013

1 Latina & 2 Asians

Why would a little Colombian girl end up best friends with a Korean girl and Chinese guy? Atlanta is a very multicultural city and even though there were other Latinos, I never really had one as a close friend.

I believe Esther was attracted to my friendship because she did not fit the typical Asian stereotypes. Yes, she was smart and a good student, but she also had a edgy and rebellious side. This darker side of her was not apparent to most people and she would hide it from family, teachers, and other friends. However, when I was around her, she felt comfortable in being herself and I insisted on bringing out that side out even more. I did this by not being judgemental, having fun, and encouraging bad behavior.

Esther and I on a typical weekend.

This came naturally to be because as Latino stereotypes go, I was outgoing, a partyer, rebellious, and fun. This may have been attrative to Esther because all of her other friends were typical A-type Korean Christian girls. I felt like she could not relate to them in the same way because they would judge or criticize her. To say the least, I did not get a long with her other friends very much.

Dale was also like this and this made us into great best friends. While Esther would tell her parents she was going to a math tournament over the weekend, we would be at raves doing drugs. We would sneak out, run over trash cans with Dale´s car, skip school, and steal items. Basically, these contraversial actions is what bonded us together, whether or not her other friends knew about it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment